Blueberries have long been recognized as the fruit with the most antioxidants. The United States Department of Agriculture on May 8th, 1999, proclaimed July to be National Blueberry Month. Blueberries are grown in 35 states, with the United States producing over 90% of the worlds supply.
Adding fresh summer blueberries are a great way to give a little health punch to some of your favorite dishes. Try them in yoghurt, pancakes, muffins, on your salad, over ice cream and even blueberry salsa.
We invite you to enjoy a few of our tasty blueberry recipes below and tell us the ways you like to eat these healthy berry bites.
* Don’t wash berries until just before using to prevent berries from becoming mushy.
* Chill berries soon after picking to increase shelf life. If refrigerated, fresh-picked blueberries will keep 10 to 14 days.
* Freeze berries in freezer containers without washing to keep the skins from toughening.
* The blueberry is the second most popular berry in the U.S. The strawberry is number one. Over 200 million pounds of blueberries are grown commercially each year.
* Blueberries contain significant quantities of both antibacterial and antiviral compounds, and have a reputation of fighting infections. They may also help protect against heart disease.
* The blueberry muffin is the official muffin of Minnesota.
* Blueberry Jelly Bellies were created especially for former president Ronald Reagan.
* The blueberry is the official state fruit of New Jersey, which also raises the most cultivated fresh blueberries in the United States.
Punch Bowl Cake (Great for July 4th because of it's Patriotic Look!)
2 pkg of pudding mix
2 pkgs of strawberry jello mix
2 cups of blueberries
2 cups of strawberries
1 angel food cake (sugar-free)
1 lg. Cool Whip
Make up the pudding mixes and jellos according to directions and then layer between crumbled cake. I put pudding, then cake, then a layer of jello with the stawberries in it, then cakem then pudding tieh the blueberries on top, etc. In a glass trifle bowl, this looks so pretty! For an American holiday, very patriotic on your table. Great for diabetics and for those on a diet!